[TriLUG] Crossover Copy

Jeff Baldwin baldwinj at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 14 17:03:20 EDT 2003

Hello All --

I have a RedHat Linux that I need to rebuild, it has about 4GB of data
that I need to backup before I start this procedure.  I do NOT have any
sort of external tape storage device or internal CD-R device that I can
use either... so what I planned on doing is using a crossover cable to
copy the data directly to another box temporarily.  I have a Windows XP
box handy and could build another Linux box if necessary (if it would make
this process significantly easier).  Do any of you have any experience
copying data from a Linux box to a WinXP/2K box using crossover cables?
Any 'tips/hints' that you could give would be appreciated.  I imagine I
will have to share the drive on the Win box and mount it from the Linux
box using smbmount?

Thanks for any info..

Jeff