[TriLUG] suggestions for content in open source book

Maria Winslow maria.winslow at windows-linux.com
Fri Aug 15 11:19:53 EDT 2003

Hello all,
I am working on a book called "Open for Business: Deploying Open Source in
Mid-sized IT Organizations" (publish date Jan-04), and would like to ask for
your insights into products that should be included. The book is for
technical managers, and describes the business case for open source, along
with resources for how to start using it. The technical detail is very light,
but broad, and is meant to aid decision making (not a how-to). Suggestions
should be appropriate for mid-sized organizations.

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds to any of the questions! Please
reply to me off-list, and let me know your name if you would like to be
officially thanked. I will post a summary.

1. What are your favorite tools for general Linux administration?

2. What is your opinion on MySQL vs. PostgreSQL?

3. When you recommend using RPMs, and when do you recommend compiling source?

4. What are your favorite solutions for Internet infrastructure (DNS,
firewall, proxies, etc)?

5. What is your favorite app server on Linux (JBoss, Tomcat, etc)?

6. Do you have any document storage solutions to recommend?

7. Do you have any software inventory packages to recommend?

8. What you recommend to replace Access (GUI, too)?

9. Are you using any application/data conversion tools?

10. Do you have any thoughts on terminal servers?

11. Can you recommend companies that offer commercial support for any of these
products?

Please let me know if you would like clarification, or would like to chat
about the project. I can be reached at 919-968-7802. Again, please respond to
me, not the list.

Thanks,
Maria