[TriLUG] spam filtering

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Sun Aug 17 13:46:02 EDT 2003

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 1:20PM, Jim Ray wrote:

> way to go!  that work is awesome.  spam is the worst problem to me
> these
> days.  i am definitely interested in seeing stuff posted.  some of the
> terminology i do not understand (like TMDA).  however, i would like to
> learn
> and to implement a good spam solution.

TMDA is a mail sentry.  So if you e-mail me and I've never talked to
you before, and you're not in my whitelist, and you're not on one of
the mailing lists I'm on, it will ask for a confirmation that you're a
human before allowing mail through.

I've put up a cleaned-up version of my scripts at
http://ranger.befunk.com/misc/spam-filters.tar.bz2 if you want to take
a look.  It will unpack a "procmail" directory, everything in there
should go in your homedir eventually, but make sure you've got things
backed up and such first.

I got real lucky in that I didn't mess anything up the first try, and
it was a saturday morning so I wasn't getting much mail.  Your mileage
may vary.  =)

--
We put a lot of thought into our defaults.  We like them.  If we
didn't, we would have made something else be the default.  So keep