[TriLUG] semi-OT: netscreen magic bus

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Mon Aug 18 13:39:30 EDT 2003

hi folks,

my company, netscreen, has a demo truck coming to RTP tomorrow - it's a
tractor-trailer loaded up with our entire line of network security
products in various configurations.  there's one demo in particular that
might be of interest to trilug members...

we have an intrusion detection and prevention system (a next-gen IDS that
can actually intercept malicious traffic) that can be fully installed on
linux: the sensor appliance runs a derivative of the linux kernel, the
management console runs on RHL or solaris, and the GUI client runs on
various flavors of linux or windows.  we've got a great demo on the bus of
a website attack (against an IIS webserver, of course!) that can be
blocked by the IDP.

i'm on the IDP virtual team (ie, it's my particular focus in our product
line), and i'm finding it a lot of fun - it's a great product, and it's
also a neat opportunity to show companies that linux can run well and save
them money in a production environment.  we've had several all-windows
shops that chose to run their management console on linux, because of the
cost savings over solaris, and they've been very satisfied with the
performance and stability...  so i'm hoping their experience with it makes
them more open to using linux for other production systems in their
network.

i'll be working the bus from 8am to 4pm - feel free to come by!  there
will be munchies, and we'll also be raffling off a NetScreen-5GT, our SOHO
firewall/VPN device.  the bus will be parked at IBM in keystone technology
park off davis drive (south of 40, past hopson road, on the left).

							lisa

--
lisa lorenzin  |  lorenzin at 1000plus.com  |  http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
of what avail is an open eye if the heart is blind? - solomon ibn gavirol