[TriLUG] Mailman Setup?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 16:57:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:29, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> Probably tomorrow I'm gonna dive head first into my first install of
> Mailman (2.1) on a fresh install of RH 9.  I can't find too much
> documentation on installation or setup of Mailman (haven't checked the
> READMEs that come in the .gz yet) so I'm assuming that most everything is
> in the READMEs.  Just wanted to ping the list and see if there's anything I
> should know before jumping in, or if anyone had any good links to some
> docs.  I've googled, but can't find much.  I figure someone has something
> to say since i'm positive that _someone_ here has installed it before :-)
>
> -r

Hola Ryan!

On Red Hat 9 after install via rpm you will need to do the following
very necessary steps:

Put the following in your /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:
MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

Also you will need to put in your hosts real domain name:
#DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
#DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

Lord knows what the Mailman packager for RedHat was smoking the day he
did this RPM...

After that, you need to create your first mailing list named "mailman".

Since you are using Red Hat 9, use the chkconfig utility (or you could
use the Services gui that comes in the System Settings/Server Settings
menu).

chkconfig --list mailman
mailman         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

chkconfig --level 345 mailman on
# this will turn the mailman daemon on automatically when the server is
booted.

That covers a lot of the install on Red Hat 9.  If you run into problems
let me know!

Good luck - Jon Carnes