[TriLUG] SCO puts disputed code in the spotlight

mpdickens at tlanta.com mpdickens at tlanta.com
Mon Aug 18 20:40:09 EDT 2003

Roberto J Dohnert wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5065286.html?tag=fd_top
>
>SCO finally showed some code, but the article says that much of the Unix code was obscured because SCO wants to protect its IP rights.  I but they continue to say NUMA, RCU, JFS, XFS, SMP, Schedulers, are derivative works and therefore belong to them. One important quote I think was kind of ironic is that Sontag said this:
>
>"A number of entities have violated contracts and contributed inappropriate content into Linux,"
>
>It has been proven that Caldera was the biggest contributor to the SMP code so what are they going to do,? Sue themselves ?

SMP? JFS? XFS? Really...?...

1.) Sequent Systems and Pyramid Systems pioneered the work in SMP and
further,
published how they did it. If anything, SCO cloned the published works.
Also, IBM
had "SMP" machines before SCO was even a blip on the map: IBM S370 S/380
had
multiple processors (Although, back then they called them "Engines").

2.) JFS is not a derivative of ANYTHING SCO has ever owned. As a matter
of fact,
back when IBM first began selling RS/6000, the biggest problem in the
entire architecture
was that the file system was not journeled. It took from 1988 until 1992
(Or was it 93?)
until journaling was implimented. They wrote the whole thing themselves
(I am sure
of this... At that time, I knew a lot of people at IBM Austin...).

3.) XFS has been around FOREVER. In addition, if anything, JFS is
modeled after XFS (Although XFS is the fast file system in UNIX).

This is laughable (If it were not so serious...)

Best regards

Marvin Dickens