[TriLUG] RHL9 WindozeXpPro->Samba setup

Tomm Lorenzin skytomm at 1000plus.com
Wed Aug 20 18:12:44 EDT 2003

I have been bangin' on this for-f**king-EVER, searching for help until I'm
GOOGLE-eyed.  Lots o' suggestions available, but none seem to be the magic
bullet.  I can see my windoze shares on the RHL box (machine-name =
"roundheels" - so-named 'cuz installation of RHL9 proceeded so smoothly and
made itself visible on my home LAN semi-automagically.  My previous
unsatisfactory experience w/ RHL 7.1 on a pigdog box was experientially
named "tarbaby")

This is a home peer-to-peer LAN - no domain or PDC involved.  But, no matter
what suggestions I try, I can't see my Linux shares on the XpPro box despite
the fact that the Linux box (\\roundheels) shows up in my windoze "network
places."  When I dbl-clk on it, I get:

"\\roundheels is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you
have network permissions. The network path was not found."

I have "contact"ed myself all over to no avail. <G>  I have modified my
smb.conf until it looks like the NY phone book.  The linux shares are
visible on the linux box. I can see my windoze shares on the linux box, so
the issue is more-or-less moot as far as file-xfer goes, BUT... <grrrr!>  I
have had the assistance of countless experts and suggestions as to how to
modify the smb.conf appropriately. I have even modified my WinRegistry. I
have reached the conclusion that "windoze ain't done 'til Samba won't run."

Does anyone have Samba shares visible successfully in WinXPpro?  What are
you smoking?  Can I have a hit?

Cheers!
Tomm "naughty boy" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC