[TriLUG] Xandros...Here's why I'm impressed

Meyer, David R David.Meyer07 at ca.com
Fri Aug 22 21:11:53 EDT 2003

Several weeks ago I was assigned the task at my company to make a Linux
desktop work across the board with all of our internal applications,
business tools, etc.  The goal...to convert 40 engineer's laptops to
Linux laptops, with another 150 to follow shortly after, followed by
another chunk.

I have tried Red Hat, SuSE, Lycoris, Knoppix and finally Xandros.
Everything else took configuration, package addition, customization,
etc. to get it to be just like I wanted it.  The idea wasn't to take the
work out of it, the idea was to find something that people could start
learning Linux on and then when they are ready, move to something else
of their choice.

Xandros required nearly no customization, etc.  It worked out of the
box.  In fact, it even supports a wireless card that Symbol (the
manufacturer) claims doesn't work with Linux.  This same card never
worked with Red Hat or SuSE, so needless to say I was rather impressed.
I plugged it in, enabled it, encrypted it, and I was done.

The CrossOver Office integration is seamless, and because you can use
debs or rpm's it is a cinch to install any package you want.

If you have never tried Xandros, give it a try.  You will not be
disappointed.

Dave