[TriLUG] OT: NC's First Flash Mob Saturday 3PM

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Fri Aug 22 21:17:06 EDT 2003

So.. I don't know if anyone here has heard about Flash Mob's, but one is
planned for tomorrow (Saturday) at 3PM. If you haven't heard about what
Flash Mob's are, there have been several news articles about them coming
out lately... Here are a few URLs. They are an interesting social use of
technology which as a phenomena have been spreading all over the world.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59518,00.html
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/lifestyle/orl-livmobbing072403jul24,0,3404620.story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3158353.stm

At any rate, generally with this stuff, the more people that participate
the merrier. Being that there are a lot of technology oriented people
on the TriLUG list I thought some of you might thinkt his was cool. So..
here are the instructions from the organizer for tomorrow:

*********** MOB INSTRUCTIONS ***************

IT"S TIME FOR THE MOB!!!
Instructions:
Those of you with birthdays on an odd day, wear a
white or light colored shirt/top.  Those of you
with birthdays on an even day, wear a black or
dark colored shirt/top.  The "light" people
should gather at 3:00PM on Saturday, August 23 in
the parking lot outside of Nordstroms at
Southpoint Mall.  Gather a good way out from the
entrance directly opposite the mall.  In case of
rain, gather inside in front of Hechts, on the
upper floor.
The "dark" people gather at 3:00PM in the parking
lot outside of Organized Living at Southpoint
Mall.  Gather a good way out from the entrance
directly opposite the "Streets" (the mall). In
case of rain, gather inside in front of Belks, on
the upper floor.
Other than the shirt on your back (or blouse,
etc), there's no need to bring anything at all.
Synchonize your Swatches to the time at:
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-
5/java for the correct time.
At 3:00PM, the final instructions will be given
out on pieces of paper, which, after you read,
please hide.  The instructions will be given out
in such a way that nobody will be able to
identify the organizer(s), so please just look
for someone with a piece of paper and ask them
for one.
Unfortunately, Friendster has limited the number
of "friends" I can have to 200, and I have many,
many more participants who want to join which I
cannot add as friends, so please post a copy of
this bulletin on Friendster for your own friends,
or where ever like minded people will see it.
As always, tell nobody who may be press or part
of Southpoint security.  This is in no way
illegal, but if Southpoint catches wind of this
event early, they may ask us not to do it, which
they can, because it's private property.  The
event will be mildly disruptive (but not violent,
political, or dangerous in any way), so the event
will be short.  The next event will not occur at
Southpoint, so if we're asked not to come back,
that won't be a problem.
Again, synchonize your watches, and meet at the
apporpriate place at Southpoint tomorrow
(Saturday!).  Tell your friends, tell your
family, tell co-workers.  The more the merrier.
This should be a great event.  See you all there!!

                        - Mob Man