[TriLUG] broadband in the Triangle area

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Sat Aug 23 02:05:04 EDT 2003

Dear People,

I'm writing to ask advice about the use of broadband with linux in the
area. I live in Carrboro (basically Chapel Hill) currently. I've just
graduated, so will likely be moving out of the area in a few
months. For this reason, I don't want any commitment, and would like
to have a month-to-month service.

I probably should mention here I use Debian on my home machine
(currently tracking sarge, more or less).

If you do use either dsl or cable, it would be very helpful if you could
comment on

1) The quality of service of your provider and any problems you have
experienced. Are there any restrictions on reasonable use of your service?
For example, I read somewhere that Time Warner Cable restricts email
attachments to a particular size (a few meg or something). If you would
recommend your provider I'd like to hear about it.

2) Your provider's attitude towards linux use.

3) Whether you did your own hardware installation and how difficult it
was. If not, how much did the installation cost?

4) What modem you used and where you got it from. Did you have any
hardware related problems? I read that the best kind are ethernet modems.

5) The total startup costs (installation etc.) and your monthly charges.

6) The procedure to get things working with linux. A little detail
would be appreciated here. If you use Debian then all the better.

7) What resources you used (online or otherwise).

Sorry. This seems just like a questionnaire, but I don't know too much
about this stuff and want to make a sensible choice. Thanks.

                                                       Faheem.