[TriLUG] identifying hard drive errors

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Sat Aug 23 08:28:50 EDT 2003

I'm fairly new to the group and am quite pleased to see such an active
group in the area!  Now I could use some advice..

I have a standard cable connection in my home and a machine running
Mandrake 9.1 setup as a gateway.  To summarize, it does NAT, hosts my
website, fetches my email and scans it with spamassassin, serves up mail
through imaps, etc.  I don't use the thing much directly.

I suspect there's a problem with the hard drive.  Periodically the
machine will simply freeze, leaving no clues in the log files.  Upon
reboot, fsck is very unhappy and produces the following type of output
to fix approximately 30 errors:

Device: Inode X, i_blocks is Y, should be Z.  FIXED.

and.

Inode X, i_size is Y, should be Z.  FIXED

It's a western digital 60gb 5400 rpm drive, and about a year ago I had
to send mine back for a replacement because it died.  I tried scanning
this one with the WD diagnostic utility on a windows machine, but I am
hesitant to erase the drive as some of the tests require.  So far no
trouble has been found.

What sort of problem does this sound like?  How can I further diagnose
it?

Thanks for your advice!

Michael Hrivnak