[TriLUG] RE: broadband in the Triangle area

mpdickens at tlanta.com mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sun Aug 24 18:46:38 EDT 2003

Lance A. Brown wrote:

>So, if I were to buy my own modem, what brands/models are recommended?

Not all modems are created equal. Some modems claim to be DOCSYS
compatible, but they are not. Some networks use equipment that
is not totally DOCSYS compliant and the modems that are installed
in this type of network are designed to work with whatever equipment
composes the network infrastructure.

You'd be suprised how many providers are using really cheap, non-
DOCSYS compliant equipment in thier networks. Occassionally, it's
amazing that
it works... I think the best thing you can do decide who your gonna use
and then
find out what modems they are using and aquire one.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens