[TriLUG] Troubled RH9

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Mon Aug 25 22:25:56 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:25:17PM -0400, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> Hey guys just an update, I went back to RH8 and everything worked fine,
> this time i decided to do a Dual boot and i do believe I have discovered
> what the problem is.  Apparantly the machine I have is an AMD duron
> processor based machine, with a VIA motherboard, its a Compaq Presario.
> For some reason RH9 wishes to load and install the Athlon kernel, RH8
> does not do this when i type uname -a it comes up as an unknown, SuSE
> and Debian also list it as an unknown.  My question is how do i get RH9
> to install a different kernel and which kernel would I need to install
> instead of the Athlon?

The answer to part 2 of your question is i686.  The first part I don't
know how to answer as when I do an install of Red Hat on my Athlon XP
2000+ it always defaults to a i386 install of the kernel.  Later I
upgrade it with

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.xx.xx.athlon.rpm

After downloading the appropriate kernel, of course.
--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org