[TriLUG] Assistance with Partition Sizes on New RH 9 Installation

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Aug 25 23:05:33 EDT 2003

I'd recommend just setting up LVM partitions at the getgo if you're
going with RH9.  That'll make it a whole lot easier to allocate more
space as needed, even if you add new disks.  For a single disk system,
you've got a serious bottle neck.  I hope you have lots of RAM.  If you
have more than one disk, stripe swap across multiple partitions.  (The
kernel does this automatically if you give them the same priority in
/etc/fstab).  Second, let /var have it's own disk.  Lots of logging and
large data files go here, so it's good to keep it separate.  /home if on
a different partition can be kept while wiping the rest of the system.
That makes upgrading easier.

Joseph