[TriLUG] Assistance with Partition Sizes on New RH 9 Installation

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Aug 26 08:19:02 EDT 2003

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 10:44  PM, zzd wrote:

> If you are going to use the system as a desktop, the simplest thing to
> do is have a single 50G root partition and maybe a 500M /boot
> partition.

No swap?

I think the /boot size is far too generous.  500M will hold far more
kernels than any mortal man would want to hold onto.  I have a few
custom kernels on my system, plus a couple provided by RH, and here's
what my /boot partition looks like:

/dev/hda1              99M   17M   77M  19% /boot

You can see that I asked for 100M when setting up the system, and even
with the above-average use of the partition I'm only using 17M.  I'd
probably be completely happy with 50M when it comes down to it.

> For large partitions, I recommend
> formating with Reiser, but ext3 will work fine.

This is RH9.  ReiserFS doesn't show up as an option in the installer.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish