[TriLUG] Assistance with Partition Sizes on New RH 9 Installation

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 08:50:37 EDT 2003

I highly recommend what Chris says, with the important addition of /home
as a separate partition.  Perhaps this:
/boot 100 MB
/swap 300 MB   (often you'd make this equivalent to your physical RAM,
though make it larger if you have less than 256 MB RAM)
/	4-6 GB	(or whatever size you think reflects the number of programs
you'll be installing
/home   all the rest

This way, you can easily reformat and wipe the operating system, without
affecting your data that's in /home.  That comes in VERY handy later
on.  Yet the above scheme is not nearly as difficult as the server-based
schemes that have separate partitions for /tmp, /var, /usr, etc.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |