[TriLUG] latex & thesis prep - what am i getting into?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Aug 26 20:53:25 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 19:42, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> hi all-
>
> i'm beginning to think about the preparation of my thesis (yay!), and i
> (must be crazy but) am considering using latex/bibtex in place of ms
> word/endnote.
>
> please, someone, either tell me:
>
> a) how much of a waste of time this may be, and to just do it in ms
> word, or ...
> b) congratulate me on trying to convince myself i'm up to the challenge
> in learning latex and point me towards some useful resources for
> preparing a thesis using latex/bibtex

Hi Doug,

I'm not going to try to try to sway you either way.  Ultimately, you
should choose the tool you decide is best.  Its your research.

That said, you can download the entire LaTeX source for my dissertation
at:

  http://cesep.mines.edu/~edhill/LaTeX_examples

It was compliant with the UNC-CH format (as specified in 2001), but I'd
be willing to bet that its very close to the formats used by many
institutions including NCSU.

Good luck!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com