[TriLUG] samba crashes system

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 01:35:53 EDT 2003

I've recently experienced a problem that a machine running Mandrake 9.1
will freeze and upon reboot complain of and fix numerous inode errors.
I've narrowed down the cause to something related to samba.  The crashes
only occur when someone (or some automated process as has been
occurring) attempts to browse samba shares.  Specifically, the browsing
machine runs XP pro.  I caught a crash in action just now, and saw these
messages printed to screen:

(pages of messages similar to the following one)

[<c0109093>] system_call+0x3/0x40 [kernel]

Code: 8b 00 4b 89 1d 88 02 7e c0 a3 80 02 7e c0 c7 40 04 80 02 7e
<0>Kernel panic: Aeii, killing interrupt handler!

At this point the system is entirely nonresponsive and the lights on the
attached keyboard blink.  What's going on here?  The logs show nothing
useful.  I am now running smartd thanks to the recent recommendation of
a list user, but it's not giving any complaints.  I originally thought
the drive was having trouble and caused these problems upon encountering
access errors, but these errors occur consistently with samba use and
cannot be duplicated with any other type of drive access.

FYI, I have all the updates applied.  That makes this smbd
2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix.

Michael Hrivnak