[TriLUG] latex & thesis prep - what am i getting into?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 27 11:40:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:12, Mike Mueller wrote:

> I thought someone would mention DocBook in this thread.  Is db not used for
> dissertations? IANAGS.

Hi Mike,

Generally, people choose commercial word processors because they're
familiar with them.  They choose LaTeX (or similar) because they want
their math to look good.

I've seen theses and dissertations produced using:

  - LaTeX and other TeX-based distributions
  - WordPerfect
  - MS Word
  - typewriter
  - nroff/troff (!)

but none using an SGML- or XML-based package like DocBook.  If anyone
has done it or knows of an example, please post it to the list.  I'd
like to see how well it handles math.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com