[TriLUG] Running swap as an LVM drive

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 29 11:35:16 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 00:04, Joseph Tate wrote:

> You'll take a bit of a performance hit, as the LVM module does require
> some CPU time.  Other than that, no.
>
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> |I was just playing with an install of RH9 and I made the machine have
> |one real partition (/boot => 100Mb) and the rest of the drives were all
> |used for LVM blocks.  So naturally I setup swap within the LVM.
> |
> |Anyone know of any disadvantages in doing this?
> |
> |Jon Carnes

Hmm, I've not heard or seen anything about LVM partitions taking more
resources (or time) to access.  When I've used it on Solaris systems,
its actually sped up services that were disk I/O intensive (I assumed
because the requests were spread across multiple disks).

Just to be safe though, I reformatted the system this morning and moved
the Swap to it's own partitions (on three different drives).

Jon