[TriLUG] Running swap as an LVM drive

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Fri Aug 29 11:58:13 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 11:37  AM, Jon Carnes wrote:

>> Other more heavily used filesystems like /usr or /home are in LVM and
>> I have
>> no complaints on them.
>
> Are you using it on /var on a mailsystem?

This is a development workstation that I used for packaging RPM's.  So
while it is disk intensive, it does so in different ways than a mail
server.

I haven't seen any benchmarks on LVM vs. non-LVM disk performance.  All
I can say is that the seat-of-the-pantsometer tells me that this system
performs largely the same as it did before it was running LVM. But my
partitions are laid out much more smartly as I can fine tune the
partition sizes as needed.

Speaking of mail servers, wouldn't it be nice to be able to stop your
mail daemons, create a filesystem snapshot, restart your daemons and
then back up from the snapshot?  Yes, you would have about 3 seconds of
mail service downtime per day but your backups would be good.  For some
organizations that 3 seconds of downtime is unacceptable but from what
I've seen of some of the big broadband ISP's they wouldn't notice such
a small window of downtime.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish