[TriLUG] OT: new DSL modem from bellsouth

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Tue Sep 2 10:06:19 EDT 2003

 >  with this new modem
> _it_ is configured to do the authentication.  How do you think this is
> going to work with my router?  Think I should not configure the new
> modem for authentication and let the router do it or un-configure the
> router and let the modem do it?

I'm running a Westell modem (A90-210030-04) and linksys wap (befw11s4).
I ended up plugging my laptop directly into the modem and setting
it to 'bridged ethernet' (I think is the right term). I then re-plugged
the modem into the WAN port on the linksys and set the linksys up
to do pppoe.

The linksys is set up to do dhcp for the wireless connections, but the
non-dhcp boxen on the network get hard-coded DNS.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4916703~root=ilec,bels~mode=flat

Cheers
- mark