[TriLUG] sendmail 8.12 w/milter support for rh 7.2

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 10:59:04 EDT 2003

Hey Ken,
  I went through this on my rh7.3 box. It went easier than you might
expect. I got the sendmail-8.12.5-7 src rpm. As Hedemark pointed out, it
will fail compilation and dependency on db4. At this point I cheated. I
simply linked the db3 shared lib to the db4 name.
cd /usr/lib
ln -s ../../lib/libdb-3.3.so libdb-4.0.so
The compilation went fine. I ran sendmail with milter support for quite
a while with no problem. I used the spamassassin milter with it. If this
is a production system, I would advise you NOT to do this. For home, it
worked fine.
I've since switched to postfix.

Ken

P.S. I still have the source rpm I used if you want it. I think I had to
tweak the spec file a little too.

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 07:42, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> yes, i'm still running rh 7.2, nd i'm probably going to continue
> to do so until i figure out how to upgrade to 9.0 without
> having my desktop look&feel totally screwed AGAIN by the
> rh upgrade..  (/me is seriously torqued that rh not only
> won't stick with a particular default between releases, but
> doesn't even support the earlier ones..)
>
> anyway.  it looks as though milter support in sendmail isn't
> formal until 8.12, and rh has no 8.12 rpms for 7.2.  does the
> 8.12 rpm for 9.0 include milter support?
>
> has anyone taken the 8.12 src rpm from 9.0 and rebuilt it,
> with or without milter support, for any earlier versions?
> --
> #ken	P-)}
>
> Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini  http://Golux.Com/coar/
>
> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt