[TriLUG] [Maybe OT]: SSL certificates

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Wed Sep 3 13:56:02 EDT 2003

ryan wheaton wrote:

> It's only maybe OT cause I'm using apache on linux servers :-)
>
> but...  i'm new to SSL certificates, and was wondering if there was a
> way to get a site wide SSL certificate instead of having one per
> machine.  We're going to have a web server environment with multiple
> servers behind a load balancer, and we don't want our customers to
> have to accept a certificate 4 or 5 times depending on which machine
> they hit on that particular occasion.
> i was thinking that I could just do a DNS round robin set up as a
> "load balancer" so that the user hit the same machine every time they
> goto the site, that way we can have one certificate per machine and
> our users will only have to accept it once.
> any idears on this?
>
> -ryan

I think that's the way to go.  There is such a thing as a wild card
certificate, but they're still sold on a per machine basis.  If you're
not going to go through Verisign or Thawte or Geotrust or any of the
other certifiers, you could sign all your keys using a self signed CA
certificate, and have all your users import that CA certificate.  I.e.
all my users go to http://www.dragonstrider.com/security/cacert.pem
import the CA required to trust the certificates on
https://www.dragonstrider.com as well as to use IMAPS or POP3S services
though those services use separate certificates.

The openssl docs can help you on the exact sequence and commands required.

Joseph