[TriLUG] Re: KNOPPIX suspends distribution from its web site

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Wed Sep 3 14:43:34 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by James Manning):"

> > KNOPPIX is no longer available from its own web site in Germany.
> >
> > www.knoppix.de bears a notice that the site is closed due to the
> > European software patent debacle.
>
> Sheesh - calm down.
>
> Like most sites that put their index.* as "closed" to protest, the
> link inside it (see the "many software projects such as KNOPPIX" line)
> still points to the "normal" index page.  In this case, that link
> (on the word KNOPPIX) still points to the original page
>
>     http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en-old.html
>
> Knoppix is just as available as it ever was - it's just a single front
> page that voices a protest.  I don't think it's asking too much for
> people to click through it.
>
> Now, if we can get a trilug contact to get knoppix mirrored over at
> distro.ibiblio.org, we'd be all set :)
>
>     http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/
>
> James

Yes, I went to that page, and via HTTP and FTP the .iso files are locked
and would not download.

KNOPPIX is at ibiblio.  I just fetched it.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U