[TriLUG] [Maybe OT]: SSL certificates

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 01:04:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 08:51, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I for one would love to see anything you have written.

I've got some old poetry I wrote while I was woo-ing my wife... but
maybe this is the wrong group for that.

Instead, here is my log/step-by-step write up of installing a CA on a
Mandrake Linux v9.1 server. It's in three parts:
  Creation of the CA
  Creation of a Cert, then applying the Authority to the Cert
  Putting the Cert in place for use in secure mail communications

This should work in general for any system using OpenSSL (not just
Mandrake linux)...

  http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/CA_setup/index.html

Hope you find it useful!

Jon Carnes

BTW: the advantage of running a CA is that once folks accept the CA, all
services and SSL certs that you have Authorized with that CA are then
automagically accepted without any nasty warnings. So you can have
multiple webserver in a round-robin DNS, each with their very own
self-"authorized" certs.

I've often thought that TriLUG should be running a CA. A true "web of
trust".