[TriLUG] NC*SA Meeting - MONDAY, September 8 - Internet2 and NSF Middleware

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Fri Sep 5 14:24:14 EDT 2003

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators
organization (NC*SA) is MONDAY. Details about the meeting and directions
are provided in this note.  We hope to see you there!

                    NC*SA General Meeting
               6:00 pm Monday, September 8, 2003
                     Dreyfus Laboratory
                 Research Triangle Institute
                  Research Triangle Park, NC

        Speaker: Mr. Michael Gettes - Duke University
        Topic:  Internet2 and NSF Middleware

Abstract:

Middleware, or "glue", is a layer of software between the network and
the applications. This software provides services such as
identification, authentication, authorization, directories, and
security. In today's Internet, applications usually have to provide
these services themselves, which leads to competing and incompatible
standards. By promoting standardization and interoperability, middleware
will make advanced network applications much easier to use. The
Internet2 Middleware Initiative (I2-MI) is working toward the deployment
of core middleware services at Internet2 universities

The items included under the heading of middleware differ depending on
who is making the list. Many interesting categorizations exist — for a
good discussion, see RFC 2768. These categorizations are all centered
around sets of tools and data that help applications use networked
resources and services. Some services, like authentication and
directories, are in all categorizations. Others, such as coscheduling of
networked resources, secure multicast, and object brokering and
messaging, are the major middleware interests of particular communities,
but attract little interest outside of those particular communties. A
popular definition of middleware that reflects this diversity of
interests is "the intersection of the stuff that network engineers don't
want to do with the stuff that applications developers don't want to
do." (http://middleware.internet2.edu/)

Speaker Biography:

Michael joined Duke in April, 2003.  He was with Georgetown from August,
1999 to February 2003 in a leading role for network and compute services
development and deployment University-wide.  Previously, he played a
similar role at Princeton University for over 10 years.  Michael has
been involved with network technology in Higher Education since 1981 and
has played major roles in the development of BITNET & CREN and now works
closely with the Internet2 Middleware initiative and is a member of MACE
working in the Directory / eduPerson, Shibboleth and HEPKI project
areas. Michael is also actively involved in establishing a Bridge
Certificate Authority for Higher Education (HEBCA supported by EDUCAUSE)
which will interoperate with the Federal Bridge CA (FBCA). Michael has
many years of operational experience with LDAP and directory enabled
applications such as central e-mail systems, alumni services, white
pages and associated security, policy and privacy issues for Higher
Education.  He has written papers, developed software and presentations,
and is an active participant in the Georgetown Institute for Information
Assurance, TERENA, Net at EDU PKI, Federal PKI TWG and the Common Solutions
Group (CSG).  Michael continues to be an active member of the Georgetown
University Institute for Information Assuraance (GIIA).

==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing food
and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please contact the
Steering Committee at:

  ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

that list.)

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif

Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors, across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.