[TriLUG] Fwd: Re: [docbook-apps] db for math/chem dissertation/thesis

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 21:14:11 EDT 2003

On Saturday 06 September 2003 16:36, Ed Hill wrote:
> > After looking at MathML and LaTeX, I conclude that LaTeX is the superior
> > mark-up language.  To be fair and balanced :-)

Oops.  Meant to say LaTeX is superior for math.

> Well, its perhaps not fair to say that one is a "better" markup language
> than the other.  XML is a totally generic, general-purpose way of
> encoding data.  Its meant for everything in general and nothing in
> particular.

I tried using it as a configuration language but pulled back because I was
throwing too much technology at too small of a problem.  I used Xerces and
was amazed at how much overhead was necessary to get it working.

> My other major disappointment
> with XML has nothing to do with typesetting.  XML mostly sucks for
> encoding numerical data.  I'm starting to use NetCDF:
>
>   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/
>
> as it has many of the "self-describing data" advantages of XML but works
> for numerical data.

My XML education is increasingly leading me to the more general concept of
"self-describing data".  My interest lies with communications signaling
systems and SIP is a protocol built this concept.  SIP represents a positive
change from counting bits and bytes and managing other data contortionisms
found in older protocols that are still in wide-spread use.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)