[TriLUG] xinted and pop - resolution (and lokkit)

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 8 14:40:55 EDT 2003

Joseph Tate wrote:
> What does your /etc/sysconfig/iptables look like for
> port 110?

I originally posted a problem with 'connection refused' errors when
trying to access pop mailboxes on my RH9 server.

In looking for the answer to the above question, I found that the file
did not contain any reference to port 110...which would explain why the
port was being blocked to incoming external connections.  Fixing the
firewall configuration cured the problem.

More importantly...in the comments of the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file,
I found a reference to 'lokkit'.  If you haven't used this, it appears
to be an editor for very basic firewall configuration.  If you only need
to open/close ports and the plethora of iptables configuration options
seems daunting, this may be the tool for you.  You can point-n-click
to configure DHCP, SSH, Telnet, WWW, SMTP and FTP...and other port
numbers as required.  No fancy rules...just allow/disallow these ports.
But that's all I needed (since this box is already behind a hardware
firewall)...so I'm very pleased.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

BTW, I have not been able to explain why I was able to access the POP
server prior to the power outage but not afterwards.

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com