[TriLUG] software update services for samba?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 14:01:03 EDT 2003

I've been following this thread... wouldn't it be nice IF something could run
in a linux based server world that would do SUS/SMS style updates...

Well, here's the basic scoop from what I've learned thus far:  SUS, Software
Update Services, I'm toying with here at work.  So far users don't have to
click accept, or go, or I agree, and they don't have to be local admins for the
OS patches to install.  They do however, still have to reboot (or there may
even be an auto-reboot when required, which if it runs at 3am, who cares.  It
is meant for w2k + however, so 98/ME/NT4'ers can forget it.  Also, SUS(SP1)
also REQuires that you run it on IIS 5.x +, of course, but surprisingly, the
SUS update does an IISlockdown, such that the particular installation of IIS
you are using will only be good for SUS purposes.  You have to re-enable things
if you want to run other web services.  This in effect makes IIS secure... and
we all know that's just Micro$haft's take on it, not mine.  I am finding that
M$'s SUS server/client software needs lots of work.  If a machine is fully
updated from the Windows Update website, it doesn't seem to want to take the
SUS client install.  Go figure, all kinds of ridiculous stuff going on.

OH yes, SUS is only good for OS patches.  It does not push virus protection
software, Microsoft Office updates or anything.

I'll keep investigating M$'s solution here at work... blah...

laters,
David