[TriLUG] software update services for samba?

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Tue Sep 9 14:29:40 EDT 2003

Jim Ray wrote:
> Sms will do it.  It is beyond the scope of my clientele to have sms, sql,
> win server at every ma and pa customer.

I administer a developement and test lab, and I've been playing with
OpenSSH server on my windows clients, I haven't used it for anything
useful yet with the Windows boxes, but I have used it for automated
installs on my legacy-unix(tm) systems.

I just need to see if I can get the updates to install without needing a
  console connection, if so I should be able to script updates for those
boxes too.

> My big beef with winders update or up2date for that matter is requiring an
> internet connection.  We all know that an internet connection is not always
> available.  What happens when we show up at a client site to do the updates
> and that internet connection is not available?
>
> Bad things.  The job doesn't get done.

Many times sites I work with a limited internet connection, my DSL at
home is much faster. I move the updates and software on site either
using my laptop, or CD-R/CD-RWs. Its not the best solution, but when
faced with a slow (or no) net connection, it can be helpful. Some sites
don't allow outgoing connections to non-authenticated clients so this
has saved me a couple times now. I don't have the convienence of up2date
or windows update, but the patches make it anyhow.

Peace.

john