[TriLUG] vsftpd & unknown command 500

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 16:09:14 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 13:47, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> hi all-
>
> i just setup vsftpd on a redhat 9 box, and when i log in and issue a
> command ('ls', for example), i get the following error:
>
> 500 Unknown command.
>
> then it takes forever, but eventually lists the directory contents.  i
> cannot upload either. (it's not setup for anonymous but rather user
> access, at least i tried).
>
> here is my vsftpd.conf file ... any suggestions?
>
> thanks.
> doug

First of all, I run Vsftpd from RH9 at several sites with no problems -
and I've not seen this problem before.

Are you running the version installed via RPM:
  rpm -qi vsftpd
    Name    : vsftpd            Relocations: (not relocateable)
    Version : 1.1.3                        Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
    Release : 8      Build Date: Fri 28 Feb 2003 02:21:36 PM EST
    Install Date: Thu 19 Jun 2008 05:57:25 PM EDT
    Build Host: daffy.perf.redhat.com
    Group   : System Environment/Daemons
    Source RPM: vsftpd-1.1.3-8.src.rpm
    Size        : 149635
    License: GPL
    Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 13 Mar 2003 04:50:02 PM EST,
    Key ID 219180cddb42a60ePackager    : Red Hat, Inc.
       <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
    Summary    : vsftpd - Very Secure Ftp Daemon
       It was written completely from scratch.

Or did you install yours from source?

Are you running directly as a service (I highly recommend this), or are
you running it through Xinetd?

What happens when you drop your firewall rules on both your client and
your server and then do the test?

Good Luck - Jon Carnes