[TriLUG] Red Hat Certification

Tommy Becker junk-box at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 17:33:41 EDT 2003

All,
I'm new to the mailing list and am considering getting a RHCT
certification.  I have substantial Unix/Linux experience, but not in
System Administration.  Right now I'm stuck in a App Support role which
is beneath my skill level with nowhere to go at my current firm.  I have
the skills to be a developer, but I've decided that I have been happiest
when working with *nix to script small tools and such, basically admin
stuff.  So the question I have is if I spend the time/money to get this
certification, will it be possible to get my foot in the door as a
sysadmin in this area?  In other words, is it worth it?  If so, what is
the ballpark salary I could expect?  One of the reasons I've been so
loathe to make a lateral career move is fear of taking a substantial pay
cut.  Also, if I do this, I would most likely subsequently pursue a
RHCE, but judging from RH's description, I'm not quite ready for that
level yet.  What are your thoughts?

TIA,
Tommy