[TriLUG] Red Hat Certification

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 9 23:20:49 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 17:33, Tommy Becker wrote:
> One of the reasons I've been so
> loathe to make a lateral career move is fear of taking a substantial pay
> cut.

I always thought of a lateral move as being same job, same resposibility,
same pay.

I've been down this road and decided to forego the certs. I say get the certs
because you want them but be careful - better yet, skeptical - about spending
your hard earned dollars.  There is a RHCE study group associated with
TriLUG. Now is not the time to shop for a new tech job in RTP unless you know
biotech at the PhD level.

Here's an idea that's flat out dishonest and stupid and nobody should ever
consider trying it:  Send out some imaginary resume's that have all sorts of
certs. on them that you would like to have but don't actually have.  If you
get an uptick in responses then you can conclude that the certs are a
worthwhile pursuit.  If not, then get the certs because you really like
technology and want to prove something to yourself.  A word of caution on
interpreting results.  If you send out 300 resume's without certs and get no
1 response, I don't think you should interpret this as 100% improvement.

Good luck.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)