[TriLUG] Red Hat Certification

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 11:16:57 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 10:28, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> I do think the RHCE is well-respected, but real experience cannot be
> duplicated.  (Also, you will find it tough to pass the RHCE without good
> hands-on experience.)  Fortunately, with a broadband connection and a few
> extra computers, you can set up your own network and gain this experience
> yourself.  Start a web site, use technologies like LDAP, NFS, Kerberos,
> NIS, etc., run some databases -- begin your sysadmin career at home.
> While certainly it isn't as positive on a resume as real work experience,
> it can help a lot.

Good advice.  Here's how to overcome the limitation in the last sentence
above.  For about $75 you can DIY incorporate as an S-Corp in NC.  Commit to
running a real business where you think about marketing, sales, and
production continuously.  Find real opportunities that pay.  Then your
experience is as real as it can be and your resume building and interviewing
abilities will increase naturally and organically as will your techical
abilities.  I run a 99% Linux-based micro-business and I would like to
establish relationships with other micro-businesses.  Be your own PHB and see
what an SOB she/he can be :-).

I think Jeremy gets to the heart of the matter succinctly when he says, "real
experience cannot be duplicated".  It can't be purchased either.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)