[TriLUG] configuring Linux with my new router

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Wed Sep 10 15:23:10 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:02:47PM -0400, "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHammer at EarthLink.net> wrote:
> I am stuck on getting my RedHat 7.3 configured with a fixed IP address
> so that it can connect to the Internet through my new router (a
> Linksys Cable/DSL Router with 4-port switch).
>
> Here is the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 which I am
> attempting to use:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> IPADDR=192.168.1.3
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
>
> When I use the above ifcfg-eth0 file I am able to reach my Windows
> machine at 192.168.1.2 (it is also plugged into the router) and I can
> ping the router at 192.168.1.1.  But an attempt to ping an outside IP
> address gets me this error:
>
> connect: Network is unreachable

Looks to me that you're missing a default route.  This can be added
manually with the command:

% route add default gw 192.168.1.1

I don't know the redhat'ism, sorry.

You should also check your /etc/resolv.conf for an entry pointing to
192.168.1.1 as your DNS, or to your ISP's DNS server.  "man resolv.conf"
can give you help with this.

David