[TriLUG] IRC clients

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 16:26:40 EDT 2003

BitchX is based on ircii (think "IRC 2") which is a very old text-based
IRC client.  Epic is based on ircii as well.  Irssi, while it operates
with some of the same basic keys and conventions as ircii, it written from
the ground up and is on the whole a better program, IMO.

If you want text-based, you really can't beat irssi.  It does just about
everything you need, yet it's pretty intuitive for new users.

For graphical-based IRC, I like xchat, but be sure to turn off the really
annoying messages that announce when you're "away".  Also, the latest
version of Chatzilla (included in mozilla 1.4) is MUCH better than
previous versions, which were pretty limited in their feature set.

--Jeremy , who notes that of the 47 people currently logged in to the
TriLUG IRC channel (#trilug on irc.trilug.org), about 22 of them are using
irssi.  Not a majority, but very close.  :-)