[TriLUG] Red Hat Certification

Tommy Becker junk-box at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 16:56:48 EDT 2003

Mike Mueller wrote:

>On Tuesday 09 September 2003 17:33, Tommy Becker wrote:
>

>>One of the reasons I've been so
>>loathe to make a lateral career move is fear of taking a substantial pay
>>cut.
>>

>I always thought of a lateral move as being same job, same resposibility,
>same pay.

In case it wasn't obvious, my definition of lateral move is one where
I'm not moving up or down on the totem pole, but rather to the same spot
on a different totem pole.  Like in app support to sys admin.

>I've been down this road and decided to forego the certs. I say get the certs
>because you want them but be careful - better yet, skeptical - about spending
>your hard earned dollars.  There is a RHCE study group associated with
>TriLUG. Now is not the time to shop for a new tech job in RTP unless you know
>biotech at the PhD level.
>
>Here's an idea that's flat out dishonest and stupid and nobody should ever
>consider trying it:  Send out some imaginary resume's that have all sorts of
>certs. on them that you would like to have but don't actually have.  If you
>get an uptick in responses then you can conclude that the certs are a
>worthwhile pursuit.  If not, then get the certs because you really like
>technology and want to prove something to yourself.  A word of caution on
>interpreting results.  If you send out 300 resume's without certs and get no
>1 response, I don't think you should interpret this as 100% improvement.
>
>Good luck.

Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. . . just kidding.  I don't have any
delusions about employers beating down my door after getting a RHCT, but
I hope they would at least be significantly more likely to choose me for
an interview, at which point, I think I could sell myself.  Hopefully,
that would be enough.