[TriLUG] Slightly OT: OSS: website statistics

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Sep 11 16:45:18 EDT 2003

Roy Vestal wrote:

>I'm thinking more like webilizer. Dunno how much work its going to be under
>winderz. Sorry, I didn't make that clearer. I need "graphical" log reader
>like webilizer as well.

IIS has its own graphical tool.  It collects a wide variety of
statistics.  If you go to the Computer management console in Winders and
then Performance Logs and Alerts, you can create a new counter log.
Then to view the output, go to the Performance tool under Administrative
tools, open the log file and add the stuff you want to see.  This offers
a real time view as well as snapshots.  If you want to view trends over
time you'll have to do something else.

Another thing I noticed was that you can change the output format of the
IIS logs.  The default is w3c Extended Log file format.  Looking at
those log files (which are stored in %SYSDIR%\system32\LogFiles) you
could probably run webalizer on them directly or with few modifications.

Joseph (Who does way too much with Windows and IIS than he'd like to)