[TriLUG] Fwd: [support] Accountability and possible solutions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 18:23:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 17:52, Mike Mueller wrote:

> I am building a portfolio of arguments to potential clients on why they
> should consider new (to them) alternatives in software/system decisions.
>
> This piece will fit in very nicely to that portfolio.  I started the
> collection with the Ernie Ball story and how they got whacked by the SBA.
>
> Imagine the cost to IT departments of keeping up with the
> worm-hole-of-the-month with the freshly purchased Wxp.  I think business is
> ready to forego lots of new features for some  good old security and
> stability.
>
> Good points about the politicians with their hands in the $$$$$-bowls.
> Voting with dollars is the way to go.
>
> Thanks for the fwd.
> --
> Mike Mueller
> 324881 (08/20/2003)
> Make clockwise circles on the floor with your right foot; now, without
> looking at your foot, use the index finger on your right hand to draw the
> number "6" in the air

I just had lunch today with an IT group that ran an all MS shop.  It was
interesting.

At first they didn't see any real value in using Open Source but then I
pointed out all the Open Source tools that they are already using like
VNC and SSH (and PHP on Apache).

That lead us to the topic of using Samba servers instead of an MS
fileserver.  The install costs are about the same (the trade off of
consulting fees to install verses OS price), but when we talked about
per user Licensing (CALS) that is when the interest level really peaked.
The savings for a 250 user shop are tremendous.

The seeds of a future sale have been sown...

Jon Carnes