[TriLUG] Fwd: [support] Accountability and possible solutions

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Thu Sep 11 18:30:23 EDT 2003

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 05:25  PM, Tarus Balog wrote:

> On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 04:22 PM, David R.Matusiak wrote:
>
>> hello Linux Lubbers --  i took a few moments today to address a major
>> problem we are seeing on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus (and presumably
>> at other institutions).  i thought my note might be of interest to
>> those on TriLUG.  any feedback appreciated.
>
> Well spoken. I actually think that UNC has a decent IT department
> compared to some (my wife works there) but everyone should examine
> exactly where their IT dollars are going ... for all the reasons you
> stated in your letter.
>
> -T
>
> P.S. What do you use to manage your network? (grin)

Indeed, thanks to all for the feedback!  I was trying my best not to
step on the toes of the many talented IT people on UNC campus.  I just
feel that "forcing" the students to all buy WinXP laptops (mostly in
the $1900-$2500 range) was an unfair practice, not to mention
potentially harmful to the network.  I hope your wife and others were
not offended by what I had to say.

As far as the tiny portion that UNC lets me manage, it is mainly ssh or
console access to Solaris machines with very few services running.  Oh,
and I love to edit files in vi.  I am certainly not perfect in the
realm of administration, but I do try my best!  Thanks!

dave ;)