[TriLUG] large-scale patch rollouts?

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Tue Sep 16 13:56:25 EDT 2003

hello Linux enthusiasts --

please don't flame my foolish question, but it is possible to roll out
linux security patches to a network of machines at the same time?
also, are there any known security vulnerabilities presented by doing
such a thing?

i know up2date is the tool to apply patches to a single (Red Hat)
machine, but can this functionality be extended to tens or hundreds of
machines?

i'm looking for more ammunition for my "switch campaign."  can't really
tell people "Linux is better" if they have to waste massive amounts of
time applying patches across a large network of systems, ya know.

i know you can use Kickstart/Jumpstart to automate multiple system
builds, now i'm wondering about ways to speed up/automate on-going
administration.  the ideas would be primarily aimed at Windows admins,
so they can see an advantage in Open Source.

muchas gracias!
dave m.