[TriLUG] Interesting shift in MS licensing pricing/policy

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 17 11:11:36 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 10:50, Mike Mueller wrote:
> (Author's mind begins to wander.  Thinks to himself.) "What does "Microsoft
> Certification" actually mean?  Is virus/worm stricken application and
> system software also Microsoft Certified?"

(Realizing how insulting this sounds, author hastily attempts to retract
insensitive comment.  Author realizes that people with MCSE and other MS
certifications have more integrity than the organization that gives the
certification.)

The whole MS wirus/worm thing is a personal frustration so I get carried away
sometimes.  It became personal when I learned that my dad launched the .exe
in an email from what he thought was from Microsoft.  This happened despite
the warnings I emailed and verbally communicated to him.  His computer was
infected with Backdoor.Coreflood.  It's not simple to eliminate.  You've got
the edit the Registry as part of the removal process.  Now, either I have to
visit and fix the computer or the computer will have to taken in to a shop to
be fixed.  My dad cannot fix this on his own.  What irks me is that MS has no
problem marketing their software to inexperienced people and taking their
money, but they feel no responsibility to keeping those same user's
investments protected from bad stuff.

I apologize for venting my frustrations inappropriately.  People with MSCE
have nothing to do with my problems and should be applauded for their efforts
for making a poor product perform as advertised.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)