[TriLUG] iptables and opening a port, CVS

Scott Lundgren s_l at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 17 11:55:00 EDT 2003

chkconfig turns off a service for runlevels(ie: you wouldn't notice it
wasn't running until the next reboot), to turn iptables off immediately use
'/sbin/service iptables stop'. I suspect CVS is not running. How was cvs
being used via SSH or ye old cvspserver? If it was via pserver when you did
the upgrade did you create a xinetd entry for it? I've copied mine in below.

- SL

Things to check:
[scott at athos scott]$ /sbin/chkconfig xinetd --list
xinetd          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[scott at athos scott]$ /sbin/chkconfig cvspserver --list
cvspserver      on
[scott at athos scott]$ nmap localhost
Starting nmap 3.26 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-09-17 11:51 EDT
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
(The 1614 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
80/tcp     open        http
2401/tcp   open        cvspserver
8009/tcp   open        ajp13
[scott at athos scott]$ less /etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver
# default: on
service cvspserver
{
        disable         = yes
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = cvs
        group           = cvs
        log_type        = FILE /var/log/cvspserver
        protocol        = tcp
        port            = 2401
        server          = /usr/bin/cvs
        server_args     = -f --allow-root=/usr/local/cvsroot pserver
}