[TriLUG] iptables and opening a port, CVS

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Sep 17 14:11:55 EDT 2003

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> I'm surprised no one has mentioned looking at /etc/hosts.allow
> and /etc/hosts.deny.  I don't know about Debian, but xinetd

Our /etc/hosts.deny has no entries.  /etc/hosts.allow has one
entry:  "ALL:"

I'm convinced this is somehow iptables or firewall related because I can
telnet into our webserver via port 80 from the server, but not from any
other machines.

I have used lokkit to turn of the firewall completely (which removes
the /etc/sysconfig/iptables config file).  I have shutdown the iptables
service.

Chris Merrill                      |  http://webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.               |  http://webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software