[TriLUG] iptables and opening a port, CVS

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Sep 17 15:05:14 EDT 2003

Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> I'm convinced this is somehow iptables or firewall related because I can
> telnet into our webserver via port 80 from the server, but not from any
> other machines.

Well, I was wrong.  It was not iptables related.  After getting iptables
disabled, we found that normal services were accessible, but xinetd services
were not.  We also found that xinetd was upgraded in the last security patch
we installed.

'downgrading' to the version of xinetd that we were using before has
fixed the problem.  Obviously this is not a good long-term fix...hopefully
the next xinetd update will resolve the issue that bit us.

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Chris Merrill                      |  http://webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.               |  http://webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software