[TriLUG] iptables updated, now broken

Kevin Hunter khunter at rhoworld.com
Fri Sep 19 15:14:23 EDT 2003

I updated iptables on an internal ( RH 7.2 ) test box from 1.2.4-2 to
1.2.8-8.72.3 ( along w/ a kernel update from 2.4.9-31 to 2.4.20-20.7 ).
Apparently how iptables works has changed drastically.

My original setup is based on a sample script from netfilter.org where I
basically have a shell script that loads my various firewall rules.  The new
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables script is looking for something quite different.

What's the best way to get my existing rules saved to the new rc script can
load them the next time I boot ?  iptables-save ?

What's the best way to store my firewall rules so they're manageable and I
can edit them easily ?

KH