[TriLUG] Time To Ditch RoadRunner?

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Sun Sep 21 11:14:54 EDT 2003

On 21 Sep 2003, Mark Turner wrote:

> Is it time to ditch RoadRunner for a more wireless-friendly ISP? Does
> anyone know Earthlink's position on wireless use?
>
> If I can't find a cable broadband provider which is wireless-friendly, I
> might go with Celito, who (along with Speakeasy) are among the few local
> ISP choices that "get it."
>
> TWC is really p***ing me off with their apparent need to control the
> Internet.

Mark, I'm a little confused after reading the article and your response
to it. "Time Warner Cable maintains that iNYC Wireless illegally
intercepted Road Runner through the apartment of an on-site
superintendent at London Terrace. The ISP then redistributed and resold
the pirated signal to the buildings' residents via Wi-Fi transmitters
placed throughout the complex...."

and the article also states "Time Warner Cable, a unit of AOL Time Warner,
offers its own wireless Road Runner service in New York."

I'm reading this article as iNYC Wireless pirated the connection, then
resold the stolen connectivity in direct competition with Time Warner's
own wireless service.

That iNYC Wireless used wireless access points to resell connectivity
seems irrelevant next to the issue they stole the connectivity from TW in
the first place and then resold it. If iNYC had purchased their Internet
connectivity through another ISP, or had purchased their Internet
connectivity from TW with a contract that permitted resale, TW wouldn't
have the same basis of complaint. I'm not seeing that TW isn't
wireless-friendly, just that they don't like people reselling their
connection without paying for the right to resell.

If I ran a bookstore and someone a) stole a box of books from me and b)
set up in the parking lot across the street selling my books they stole
from me, I'd probably call the police or a lawyer myself. If someone
opened a competing bookstore next door and bought the same books from a
wholesaler, I'd probably be unhappy but not have the same basis for
official complaint or legal recourse.

Now then, if the article had read (note for anyone reading this: I am
making up this next part) TW was suing iNYC Wireless whose connectivity
was purchased through Speakeasy for daring to compete in the same
marketplace as TW, I'd understand aggravation or outrage.

(obDisclaimer: I don't work or speak for for anyone involved in this
article)

best,
Steve Burnett
badger at trilug