[TriLUG] Re: Time To Ditch RoadRunner?

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Sep 23 09:39:13 EDT 2003

I have watched this thread but reserved comment since I didn't want to
squash anyone's dreams.  There are some significant reasons why this
sort of thing should NOT be done, but I'm betting the majority of
participants of this thread don't want to dwell much on the why nots.
With that in mind I offer this positive perspective for future such
endeavors...

Earlier this month the DSL Forum released TR-059.  This report lays out
the architectural requirements for QoS enabled IP services.  This change
will provide a better broadband connection with higher quality data
links for VoIP, Video, Gaming and everything else realtime.  What is
particularly interesting about this architecture is that it is a huge
departure from the original vision of DSL architecture.  Instead of
being ATM centric it is IP centric.

Without going into a lot of the history or detail, the short story is
that Cable and Fiber (FTTH) providers will be able to use this
architecture, and the future products built for it, in their networks as
well.  This will involve some components inside the provider network
(BRAS) and some new capabilities in residential gateways (DIFFSERV and
RIP2).

To the provider this means there will shortly be a standard way to
provision and bill for QoSed bandwidth either "always on" or "on demand"

To the customer this means we can finally get performance through
traffic prioritization rather than purchasing as much bandwidth as we
can afford and hoping that fixes things.

Look for BellSouth to start implementing in Q1 2004.  Look for RG
products which can use this to hit store shelves a little later.

http://www.dslforum.org/aboutdsl/Technical_Reports/TR-059.pdf

-Ryan

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>