[TriLUG] Re: Time To Ditch RoadRunner?

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 13:44:48 EDT 2003

In the triad, TWC has already implemented bandwidth limits of 10GB
upstream and 5 GB downstream per month for standard customers.  For
something like $99/month you can up that to a total of 40, something
like a 25/15 split or such and also increase the speed of your
connection.

They told me that they've always had a usage cap of 15GB/month, but that
in the past they have simply slowed down your connection once you reach
that cap.  Now they'll charge extra, but supposedly not without
notifying you first.

I called Earthlink to get their perspective (I was considering
switching) and they told me that although they won't charge for excess
usage, they are forced to abide by TWC's policy of slowing down
highly-used connections.  Look here:

http://www.triadtwcable.com/internetserv/bandwidthusage.htm

A brief cruise of nc.rr.com didn't yield a similar document, but it may
very well be there.

Michael